So what is Co-Washing? (short for conditioner washing or no-poo)
Simply put, it is actually washing your hair with conditioner as opposed to regular shampoo. Co-washing is highly preferred by the Naturally Curly Community as a primary method of Washing hair because it is more gentle on curls/waves (both tend to be naturally dry) and won't strip your hair of its natural oils. They contain little-to-no sulfates (sodium lauryl sulfate), and they generally don’t lather. Traditional shampoos rely on detergents that chemically attract dirt in your air; these chemicals are distributed during the washing process by rubbing, scrubbing and lathering, and when these chemicals are rinsed away, your hair feels squeaky clean—which isn’t a good thing if your hair is prone to dryness and/or damaged. Washing hair with conditioner removes enough dirt and oil without drying the hair, leading to Less Breakage. Curly/Wavy/Textured hair will retain more Moisture throughout the cleansing process because you're cleansing with natural oils, extracts, botanicals & healthier ingredients that won't strip your hair and preserve its natural oil.
So What are the Benefits of Co-Washing?
Co-Washing mostly benefits those with Dry, Damaged & Dehydrated hair and especially those with naturally textured and/or naturally curly hair.
The best way to start is with an inexpensive, lightweight drugstore conditioner because co-washing requires a lot of product, so you really don't want to us the expensive fancy stuff to co-wash. Use a generous amount of something like VO5 Herbal Escapes Clarifying Conditioner (under $2.00) or Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (under $4.00) or Sauve Naturals Coconut Conditioner (under $2.00 and one of my co-wash staples). Saturate hair with water then pour a very generous amount of your Conditioner of choice in your hands and rub it into your scalp just as you would with shampoo, massage into your hair then rinse and repeat. Always make sure you Detangle while your hair is SATURATED with Conditioner. To Detangle, part your hair in 4 to 6 sections, take a wide tooth/shower comb and comb hair from ends to roots. Do not comb from the roots to the tips. That will result in more breakage! Use shampoo once in a while to remove buildup, perhaps every 2 to 4 weeks, depending on how many other styling products you use regularly.
Let’s Natty Chat……..
Tis the Season to take that much needed Vacation Break from Work, Vacation Break from Excessive Chores, from Grueling School Work and all importantly, time-consuming Hair Styles. For those of you who are looking to Retain Length, it is Necessary to incorporate Protective Styling as a Regular part of your Hair Care Regimen.
SO WHY SHOULD WE PROTECTIVE STYLE?
~ To give your Hair a Break from the Stress of Styling & Over-manipulation.
~ When you know you have a Busy Schedule, going on Vacation, etc.
~ If you have Fine, thin Hair that is Prone to Breakage.
~ When the Environment and/or Weather is not conducive for the Health of your Hair.
With that said, here are My Few “FAVS” that I’ve worn myself during Summer Months:
1. BRAIDS/KINKY TWISTS EXTENSIONS: This is by far my Favorite Go-To Style, Reason being is that it last for at least 6-8 weeks as long as I Moisturize, wear my silk scarf EVERY NIGHT & Maintain it Properly. It takes quite a few hours to put in (not fun) but it is ohhhh "So Worth It" because once it's Done...It's Done! Just Simply style the Braids or Twists themselves (fun part); your hair is Completely Protected from combing, brushing, excessive manipulation, etc. Once you take them out (not fun either), make sure you Clarify your Hair, Deep Condition & I can't emphasize enough, Moisturize-Moisturize-Moisturize your hair thoroughly & consistently the entire time you're wearing Braids/Twist Extensions. I've found that most Naturals have Breakage with this style due to Lack of Moisture, Braids/Kinky Twists too tight and/or too small, or they've been in too long.
2. BUNS & CHIGNON: This here is my Favorite Go-To-Style #2 for so many Reasons. I wear this 90% of the time when I am not wearing Braids/Twists Extensions. Always Remember, on your Busiest & Most Hectic Day and don't have a whole lot of time, you should ALWAYS have that ONE Go-To-STYLE that you can always Count on that NEVER FAILS and Yields the same Results...Every time! Buns are Perfect for those not-so-good Weather Days because you don't have to worry about Frizzing, Swelling & that Twist Out turned Fro; and it Always works for those "Styles of Epic Failure" because what didn't turn out right can always be pulled into a Great looking Sleek Bun; it fits all occasions and Social & Business Settings. Buns are quite Simple, just make sure you Moisturize your Hair fully to make it Pliable and to combat Dryness & Seal your ends (oldest part of the hair), it is healthier to smooth your hair into a Bun with your hands instead of a brush, try to use terry cloth Ponytail Holders instead of Rubber Bands and also limit other Hair tools & accessories which can snarl your hair causing Breakage. Make sure your Bun and Edges are not too tight which causes Breakage also; tuck your ends to keep them Soft, Moisturized and Protected from Breakage...it's that Easy. Just be sure that once it is in a Bun, you let it be, of course you can take it down to Moisturize.
3. TWO-STRAND TWISTS OR FLAT TWISTS: And last but not Least...My Favorite Go-To-Style #3. The All-Fabulous Two Strand Twists and (Flat Twists when I can get them right). I wear Two-Strand Twists A LOT in-between Bunning. Twists are Great for those who want Full-Twists minus the Extensions; for me, I Love the Plump & Kinkiness that evolves from each Twists due to their own Unique Curl Pattern. Full Twists typically last me for 2-3 weeks at a time; Flat Twist usually last me a week and a half to 2 weeks as long as I Properly maintain them by Moisturizing & Sealing my ends (the oldest part of your hair) and sleep with my Satin Scarf (again) EVERY NIGHT. Twists are so Versatile to Style and also fits any and all Occasions (formal & informal). These take just a few hours, once you're ready to take them down, they make an Awesome Twist Out or Braid Out right before wash day. Try one of these Great Styles for yourself to help Retain Length & Overall Healthy Hair.
***TIPS TO REMEMBER***
- Protective Styles protects the Hair (especially the ends).
- Be Careful not to Neglect your Hair, you must still Moisturized regularly.
- Low Manipulation is the Key...Try to leave Protective Styles in for at least 2-4 weeks.
- Limit the Use of Daily Styling, Combing/Brushing, Heat, Chemicals/Color, Hair Bands/Accessories that can pull or snare your Hair.
SO WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PROTECTIVE STYLE & WHY?
Share it with us....
Ayur's Batch of Nature Blog
IS YOUR REGIMEN READY?
As we say Goodbye to Fallen Snow, Freezing Temps and Bitter Winds, We can also Farewell to Super Dry Hair & Fragile Ends due to the harshness that Winter can bring...But Alas "It's Spring"...Freshly Bloomed Tulips, Green Grass and a Warm Breeze has Finally arrived...It's the Season We all Love where we can ditch our Beanies and Spring out our Curls. It's the Perfect time to Re-Visit our Regimens and try some new great Products like our Ayurvedic-Infused Moisturizing Leave-In Tea Spritz which will Melt Tangles, Hydrate & bring Life to any Wash n Go, Bantu Knots, Twists/Braids and Puffs in no Time...It's Heavily Infused with Ayurvedic Herbs & other All-Natural, Wholesome Ingredients to Quench the thirstiest of Curls & Coils. It absorbs easily with No Build up so it's Perfect for Daily Use....So TEA Anyone???
Join Our Monthly Email List for Special Offers & Discounts!